The talk about superhero movies wouldn’t be complete without the Marvel superheroes. It’s been more than a decade since Disney started the Marvel Cinematic Universe which is also known as MCU. This movie was a combination of stories from comic adaptation and some new ideas to make it more appealing to the viewers. However, if you’re a new Marvel fan and want to watch them according to the timeline, then here’s a post that will show you how to watch marvel movies in order. Not by release date but by how the flow of the story was. Jump into the rest of the content below to learn more about MCU.
Learn More About MCU
The Formation of MCU Movies
The concept of Marvel movies was perfectly planned and is string together to build up a story that will lead to the formation of a superhero team called the Avengers. Therefore, each movie that they release since 2008 shows the identity of each superhero the will form the said super team. And to properly link all of the movies together, the creators decide to put post credit scenes that will provide a hint for the next Marvel movie that will be launch.
However, the continuity of the whole theme of MCU was a little bit jumbled, because based on the Marvel movies in order of release, some movies were released first from the ones that should be first. Why they did that? We don’t know, maybe it’s a marketing strategy.
The Infinity Stones
Some fanatics prefer to watch Marvel movies in order to see the link between the stones. Aside from introducing our Marvel superheroes, some powerful stones link all of the movies together. Each stone are slowly being introduced until the time that Thanos needs them for his gauntlet. These stones are the Power Stone, Soul Stone, Time Stone, Mind Stone, Reality, and Space Stone.
- Power Stone – which gives a wielder super strength
- Soul Stone – that can resurrect dead and manipulate the soul
- Time Stone – which allows the bearer to control time
- Mind Stone that gives the ability to control minds
- Reality Stone – is made of a viscous liquid that allow its bearer to control realities
- Space Stone – the power to create wormholes
Knowing All the Movies in Order
There are a total of 23 movies under the MCU, so watching in the proper sequence will help you appreciate the movies more. So let’s arrange the movies and provided a brief hint about each movie.
- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) – This is where the story starts, a skinny soldier that was bullied a lot was been a part of a Super Soldier program that makes him super strong and muscular. It was the first time the Tesseract was introduced to MCU.
- Captain Marvel (2019) – This story is about a girl pilot that becomes incredibly strong and powerful because of an explosion of a jet engine that was powered by the Tesseract. She became the major superhero later on the MCU timeline.
- Iron Man (2008) – A genius, billionaire, and philanthropist. This superhero plays a big role later on as he was the head of the Avengers.
- The Incredible Hulk (2008) – A story of a genius doctor that was exposed to Gamma rays which makes him transform into a big green beast. He will, later on, helps Avengers in their later battles.
- Iron Man 2 (2010) – In this sequel, a brief hint about the Space Stone was revealed as Tony’s father created a new element based on the Tesseract.
- Thor (2011) – This introduces a very powerful demigod and his mischievous brother. They fight over their father’s throne and in search of the Tesseract as well.
- The Avengers (2012) – This is where the team of superheroes was formed. Recovering the Space Stone and the Mind Stone was the focal keys to this movie is able to avoid alien invasion.
- Iron Man 3 (2013) – In this movie, it shows the obsession of Tony Starks on his Iron man suits and later battle his anxiety and defeated a powerful enemy the extremist.
- Thor: The Dark World (2013) – An evil villain named Malekith wants to turn the world into darkness through the use of the Reality Stone. But luckily the mighty Thor was present to save the day.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) – To watch all of the Marvel movies in order, this sequel is a must to see. This movie was focused on saving Captain America’s friend Buck who has abducted by hydra and turned into a puppet assassin. This will shed light on Hydra’s power.
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) – Another breed of intergalactic superheroes introduced in this movie. This movie also gives hint on what the Power Stone is capable of.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) – This sequel is basically about Quill or Star Lord’s issues with his father.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) – A new hint about the Mind Stone was reveal in this blockbuster movie. The words mightiest hero now faces a new opponent in the name of Ultron. This second Avengers movie also showed a Thanos wearing the infinity gauntlet at the post-credit scenes.
- Ant-Man (2015) – It’s about the introduction of a superhero that was as size as an ant. Its significance to the MCU will be shown later on.
- Captain America: Civil War (2016) – A little bit of conflict happened as Captain America’s squad goes against Iron Man’s team. Their differences were later on settled.
- Black Panther (2018) – The introduction of a fearless superhero was done, which is Black Panther. T’Challa battled against his cousin Erik Killmonger. The post-credit scenes also show Shuri the younger sister of T’Challa was treating Bucky’s issues with his memory.
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) – It the inclusion of the youngest superhero under the MCU. This shows a brief introduction to Spiderman.
- Doctor Strange (2016) – The Time Stone was further elaborated in this movie, where a former surgeon learns some magical techniques from a wizard that able him to manipulate time.
- Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018) – This movie will shed light on the possibilities of time travel which is very significant in their later battle against Thanos.
- Thor: Ragnarok (2017) – This movie shows how Bruce Banner and the big green guy Hulk decide to set aside their differences and unite with Thor to fight together against the evil Hela. It also shows a brief history of Asgard as well as Thor.
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018) – The first appearance of Thanos was made in this movie. Despite all of the efforts of our superheroes, Thanos was able to complete the infinity stones and made a snap, making half of the population vanished including some of our superheroes.
- Avengers: Endgame (2019) – This is the finale where our heroes were able to defeat Thanos and revert the snap that he made earlier. All of the Avengers including those who died from the snap came back and fight as hard as they can. However, Iron Man made the ultimate scarifies as he made the snap to revert the effect of Thanos’s snap. This cause Iron Man’s life. Will he be able to live again someday in MCU? Well, it’s up to Marvel’s executives.
- Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) – Just a sequel of Spiderman’s journey to save the world against invading enemies. While mourning about the death of Tony Starks a.k.a Iron Man was evident in this film.
On the other hand, if you want to enjoy all of the MCU movies once according to how the story must flow, or you’re a new fanatic that wants to jump into the bandwagon, then here’s a mind map that could guide you with your viewing.
Create your Own Marvel Mind Map
That’s the exact arrangement about watching Marvel movies in order. On the other hand, if you wish to make your mind map, whether it’s Marvel-related or other stuff, start making your mind map now using this awesome tool called GitMind. This is a free-to-use mind mapping application that is capable of making any type of mind map and flowcharts. It is also equipped with a built-in editor for easier editing and has numerous pre-made templates to choose from.