Family trees are the visual representation of one’s ancestral lineage. It shows the roots of the entire family and gives us a glimpse of where we came from. Simply put, family trees act as our windows to the past and guides the future generations to come. However, creating one is not as simple as it sounds, especially for extended families as they branch out every year. On the other hand, using a family tree maker solves that issue. On that note, we reviewed 10 of the best family tree makers that you can use.Best Family Tree Maker
- GitMind (Web)
- Family Echo (Web)
- Creately (Web/ Windows, Mac, and Linux)
- My Heritage (Web)
- Canva (Web)
- Famberry (Web)
- Lucidchart (Web)
- SmartDraw (Web and Windows)
- XMind (Windows, Mac and Linux)
- Visual Paradigm (Web)
GitMind is a web-based chart maker and is the first tool on our list. It provides various templates of different types of charts. Aside from that, you can also create your family tree chart from scratch using this tool. The advantage of using this online tool is that you can immediately share your work with other online friends. Another good thing about this family tree generator is that it allows you to collaborate with other family members. You can simultaneously edit your family tree chart for more accuracy. For instructions in using this tool, you can refer to the steps below.
- Visit the official website of GitMind and then click the “Get started. It’s free” button from the homepage. On the next page, you can use a ready-made template or create your own by clicking the “New Mindmap” button.
- If you chose to create a new one, you would be redirected to the editing panel. Then click the “Layout” button from the toolbar and select “Tree Chart” from the available options. You can now proceed in creating your family tree chart. While editing, you can invite other family members to work with you by clicking the “Collaborate” button from the same toolbar.
- Once done editing your family tree, you can now save it to your cloud storage by clicking the “Diskette” icon. Alternatively, you can save it on your local storage in image format by clicking the “Export” button.
Family Echo (Web)
Family Echo is an online free family tree creator that specializes in the said type of chart. As a free tool, the Family Echo is reliable enough, but that is all it can offer. However, that factor is what makes it one of the best family tree maker out there. This tool is one of the easiest to use, as you only need to provide the information needed, and it will automatically arrange them. This tool’s simplicity is what makes it one of the top choices when creating family tree charts.
- Easy information editing
- Can create ready to print family tree within minutes.
- Can add biographical information to each member of the family
Creately (Web/ Windows, Mac, and Linux)
Creately is a professional chart maker that is available online and in its desktop version. Educators benefit greatly from this tool because it can be used to make various diagrams like Venn, storyboards, and others. Creately provides basic features like chart making under the basic plan for free. However, for other features like the “Automatic Online Sync” and “Document Collaboration and Sharing” are only available under the premium version. On the other hand, it is still worth noting that it is a great family tree maker.
- Offers unlimited private document creation
- Has an online collaboration of up to 100 users
- Exports files in high-resolution
My Heritage (Web)
My Heritage, as its name suggests, is a genealogy platform where you can create family tree charts. The interface of the tool is very intuitive, making it one of the easiest tools out there. However, it is not entirely free as it requires an account with billing information upon registration. Despite the steep pricing, you will get a lot of advanced options like “DNA Matching,” “Ethnicity Estimate,” and more. In general, it is safe to say that it’s an excellent family tree generator.
- Automated DNA matching technology
- Global Name Translation
- Search Connect feature collects questions from users and then provides them as answers to people with similar questions.
Canva is a diagramming platform that professionals like scientists and genealogists use. It is used to create various charts like a fishbone, Venn diagram, and organizational chart. Canva is one of the best family tree maker on the internet and is one of the easiest to use.
- Provides different templates that you can use for free
- Has a built-in image editor
- Offers online collaboration
Famberry is one of the most used family tree makers on the internet. It has different features like “Family Circles,” “Messaging,” and “Calendar” options that you can use anytime. The tool is free to use but offers an upgrade option that provides added options. Aesthetic wise, Famberry is more on the simpler side, as it doesn’t allow enhancements options. On the other hand, as a family tree maker, Famberry is undoubtedly one of the top choices.
- Lets you add photos to your family tree chart
- Connect with relatives via the messaging feature
- Mark special life events with the calendar
Lucidchart is one of the more popular diagrams and chart tools available online. It provides adequate options and features that users find very useful. However, using it will require you to subscribe to its services. As a consolation, it provides a free trial where you can test out the tool. As a family tree generator, Lucidchart can come in par with desktop tools.
- Lots of available templates to choose from
- Online collaboration is available
- Has a presentation mode for the audience
SmartDraw (Web and Windows)
SmartDraw as its name suggests is a smart drawing tool that lets you create stunning charts and diagrams. The tool is available on the desktop and provides efficient ways to create a family tree. One good thing about it is that it can integrate into the Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel line of software, which is why it is considered as one of the best family tree maker.
- Has an Intelligent Formatting option that lets you build your family tree using simple commands.
- You can customize the free templates within SmartDraw
XMind (Windows, Mac and Linux)
XMind is a desktop tool that provides chart templates that you can edit. It is perfect for creating a family tree because the simplistic editing panel is not confusing. You can also add enhancements in the aesthetic department if you want to. XMind provides the “Topic free Positioning” and “Topic Overlap” option for free. If you are looking for a desktop family tree maker, then try XMind.
- Built with a Presentation mode
- Compatible with Office and PDF documents
- Has a Gant View feature
Visual Paradigm (Web)
Visual Paradigm is the last tool on the list. It’s an online diagram maker compatible with various web browsers like Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. It utilizes the drag-and-drop method of creating family trees. You can make your chart, or use the available templates within the tool. Being an online family tree generator has established itself as one of the best in the said area. That is why we are confident that you will not have any hard time trying it out.
- Compatible with major web-browsers
- Free to start
- Offers more templates compared to other online tools.
Not all family tree makers were created the same. Some only provide basic features while some let you enhance them visually. However, as mentioned above, each tool all have their strong points. On the other hand, if you want to use the best family tree maker among the tools above, choose GitMind for a hassle-free way.