Microsoft Word is one of the best word processing software that you can find. It boasts an extensive set of features that are all beneficial when creating various forms of documents. Aside from that usual text, Word also supports other forms of content like images, and tables. Using that knowledge, it is now possible to apply it and create complex tables and charts. This is a tutorial that will let you create a flowchart in Word and other applications.
3 Methods to Create a Flowchart in Word
Adding symbols via Shapes in Word
Using Word is a lot easier for many because it is included on most Windows PC. That is why there is a sense of familiarity every time you use it, even from a different PC. To be precise, there is no special knowledge needed to make a flowchart in Word, as it provides everything you need. If there is one thing that you should be concerned about, it is the way that the chart will turn out. Appearance plays a big role for visual aids, as it is a mortal sin to look way too plain and boring. Good thing Microsoft took this into consideration and loaded their software with a lot of add-ons that you can use. These features will help you design and come up with an interesting flowchart. If you want to learn how to make a flowchart in Word, follow the steps below.
- Open a blank Word document, and then click the “Insert” tab from the Ribbon. After that, click the “Shape” button from the options that will appear.
- Use the appropriate shapes for flowcharts, including arrows from the available ones within the “Flowchart” option. After that, click the “Ok” button and it will be added to the blank Word page.
- Arrange the shapes and other elements to form the flowchart. Next step is to add the text to each elements and then finally save the flowchart.
Adding symbols via SmartArt in Word
Another feature that Word provides to its users is the SmartArt feature. This feature is a smart and artistic way to make flowcharts, hence its name. SmartArt is the exact opposite of the previous solution, which is the manual way. To cut it short, we can call it the automated way to make a flowchart in Word. Here are the steps to make flowcharts using SmartArt.
- Open a blank Word document, and then click the “Insert” tab from the Ribbon panel. From there, click the “Illustrations” section and select “SmartArt.”
- A new window will appear where all designs and templates are located. Choose the best graphic for your flowchart and then click the “OK” button.
- Repeat the process until you complete the flowchart, and then add text to finish things off. Save the flowchart by clicking the “File” tab and then choose “Save.”
Free Online Flowchart Tool-GitMind
As mentioned above, learning how to create a flowchart in Word is a good thing. However, there will be times when you will need a specialized tool, that provides specialized features for this matter. During these times, you don’t need to install additional tools, as it will only consume your disk space. Alternatively, you can open a web browser and use GitMind, which is an online flowchart maker for free. It is used by millions around the world to make outstanding mindmap and other types of charts. It also hosts a lot of ready-made templates that you can use if you don’t want to create a flowchart in Word. Below are the steps to produce a flowchart using GitMind.
- Open a web browser and then launch the official website of GitMind. From the homepage, click the “Get Started” button and the home screen will appear. To use a template, click the “Category” type and then select from the library.
- To make a flowchart from scratch, click the “New Flowchart” button. The screen will then shift to the editing panel, and you can start editing your flowchart. Use the provided shapes and options from the left-hand side of the screen.
- Once done editing, click the “Save” button to save the flowchart on your cloud. Alternatively, you can send the flowchart to your friends online via URL by clicking the “Share” button. You can also download the chart by clicking the “Export” button.
Word is indeed very useful when creating any form of a document. On that note, the steps above show how to make a flowchart in Word. By following these steps you will be able to produce basic to average flowcharts. However, if you want to make professional-looking charts, then use GitMind. Not only will you have the option to use templates, but will have a lot of options to choose from in designing your chart.